When buying a new home, it's important to spend time inspecting each inch of the property. Be sure to take a closer look at one hidden, yet vital area of the home: the foundation. If you don't you could be calling NSquare to fix the foundation of your new home. Here's a few signs that your dream home might be a nightmare waiting to happen.
- Typically, foundation issues can be seen in areas higher in the home. Door and windows are easy targets for a moving or cracked foundation as they stick or drag while moving. When you close the door to the home, it should be square in the door jam; otherwise the foundation has shifted since installation. Interior doors will show you the same.
- Carefully review every inch of the home’s drywall, especially at the corners of walls, windows and doors. If you notice repair of cracks around these corners, this may be a sign of a foundation issue. Cracks don’t always mean there’s a foundation issue, however they do signify a problem.
- South Florida is known for its rain. Where is all that water going? If it’s draining into the homes foundation, that’s a recipe for disaster. This water could cause the soil around your home to expand and crack your foundation. Water damage in a home’s foundation can be a costly repair so look for these drainage problems from the get-go.
- Floors are essential to a home and its foundation. Cracks, bulges, bowing and slopes are not good. Often, these things mean the foundation has been settling. If these are noticeable, the home may have a serious foundation issue already.
- When walking around the exterior of the home, carefully check all siding and bricks. If there are cracks or the bricks don’t lineup, a foundation problem is safe to assume. If the home is concrete and it’s chipping and/or flaking, the same can be same. Poke cracks or spots of suspicion with a screw driver to test them. This method should not damage the home, only expose weak spots.
Buying a home, only to discover it has costly foundation issues, can be stressful. If you notice any possible problem with the home, make the homeowner aware and call NSquare Inc for a free inspection of the home today. The key to buying your next home is understanding exactly what you’re up against before signing that dotted line.
Inspection & EstimateCALL NOW!