Avoid Crawl Space Sinking Floors
Since your crawl space is built underneath your home, it plays a vital role in your home’s structural integrity.
Crawl spaces bear the weight of your home through the foundation walls and crawl space support columns, so it’s important that these are structurally intact to hold the weight of your home.
Why do Floors Sink?
Many crawl spaces are designed with a support system that is either inadequate, rotting, or has soils underneath the support posts that cannot bear the weight of your home.
As a result, the floor joists in your crawl space become weak and fail to support the weight of your floors above it. When this happens, you’ll notice the floors inside your home start to sink or sag.
Aside from the inconvenience of sinking floors in your home, this puts a great amount of pressure on your foundation and can compromise the structural integrity of your home. If left untreated, it could cause bigger and more expensive issues to fix.
Water damage can cause structural damage in your crawl space. As the moisture sits and collects on surfaces in your crawl space, it can cause the wood to rot and weaken the floor joists.
If you notice any moisture damage in your crawl space, it’s important to get it taken care of before it causes structural damage.
The soils in the ground around your foundation can expand and contract during extreme weather conditions, causing your foundation to settle. This settlement puts stress on your crawl space and can cause structural damage to your home.
Signs of Crawl Space Supports Failure
- Space Created From Walls Separating From Floors or Ceiling
- Uneven or Sagging Floors Above Crawl Space
- Sagging Ceiling Below Crawl Space
- Visible Signs of Rotting Floor Joists
- Visible Signs of Wood Rot on Support Beams
- Cracks in Interior Walls
- Too Much Moisture and Humidity in Crawl Space
Fix Sinking Floors with the SmartJack®
In many cases, a failing crawl space structure can be resolved by installing crawl space supports. This is a fast job that can provide permanent, warrantied results. Typical installations can be completed in less than two days.
At NSquare, Inc., we use the SmartJack® Crawl Space Stabilizer to support your floor joists and provide permanent structural stability.
About the SmartJack®
The SmartJack® Crawl Space Stabilizer is an adjustable supplemental support system used for sagging crawl spaces.
It not only provides supplemental support to your failing structure -- it can also often lift failing floor joists or beams, restoring them to their original position.
This crawl space support system is unique with strong, corrosion-resistant, galvanized steel. It will not develop rust, allowing it to remain adjustable for years should you need to perform future adjustments.
How it Works
The SmartJack® is installed inside your crawl space. Once installed, it permanently lifts and stabilizes the faulty joists and beams. The SmartJack® is unique because of its adjustment ability and potential to move up and down as needed to support the load above.
We use the following process for installation:
- Excavate a hole and prepare footing base
- Install aluminum footing
- Assemble steel column and components
- Connect SmartJack® to the beam
- Tighten and adjust until the preferred height is reached
Benefits of Using the SmartJack®:
- Fast, Year-Round Installation: The SmartJack® can be installed year-round, with installations completing in about a day. There's no waiting time for concrete to cure!
- Strong Crawl Space Support: Our crawl space support system can support vertical loads exceeding 60,000 pounds, which is far stronger than conventional concrete repairs.
- Versatile Installation: The SmartJack®'s portable size allows it to be installed in even the tightest of crawl spaces.
- Superior Support: Our support jacks do more than merely halt the downward movement of your floor. The SmartJack® may also be adjusted to try to lift the floor above to its original position.
Rely on NSquare, Inc. to Repair Your Sinking Floors
We have proudly served customers throughout Southern Florida with sinking floor repair for over 25 years. Our crawl space experts can quickly install the SmartJack® system to permanently fix your sinking floors and restore your home’s structural stability.
We offer quotes in South Florida, including Sarasota, Lee, Collier, Charlotte, Glades, Hendry, Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach.
Call us today to schedule your sump pump appointment!